A Lifehouse triple threat.

31 Mar

Right around the time that Lifehouse was scheduled to release their sixth album, they announced a few album release shows. California lucked out with 3 consecutive shows, the last being at the Troubadour in LA. The Troubadour is a small 300 capacity venue, so I made sure I was online right as the tickets went onsale. This proved to be a smart idea, because the show sold out in 4 minutes!

December proved to be a busy month for me. On the 14th I went to a Matt Nathanson show in San Francisco (my last blog post.) The 15th I went to a Holiday party that lasted pretty late into the night. The 16th I woke up at 5am, showered and packed, and was out the door by 6:15am. The first instore was at 3pm, and 6 hours away in Long Beach, hence heading out on the road early and beating the sun out of bed.

Once I arrived in Long Beach, I found Fingerprints and immediately went inside because I had stopped for coffee twice on the drive, and I needed to use the restroom desperately. TMI? Whatevs. No one else was there yet for the show, so I wandered the store for a bit before Lisa called me and said she was parking down the street. I went outside to meet her, and then I ordered ANOTHER coffee (red eye: half espresso/half coffee) because I am a caffeine fiend and I can’t ever get enough.  Pretty sure my bloodstream is contaminated by it.

While sitting outside, the band wandered in to sound check, and they all said quick hellos to us. Sigh. I love this band.

It started to rain at this point, and there was a line starting to form, so the manager of the store lead us in so we wouldn’t be stuck outside and get wet. Basically we got to watch sound check from the opposite side of the store, and it was like a bonus set. We were by the “bargain bin” records, and they had huge promo flats for sale for $5. I flipped through the stack and low and behold, look what I found!

matty nay poster

You know I automatically bought that gem. Months later, I still have no clue what to do with it, so it’s been chilling next to my treadmill in my room. Suggestions?

Then we were let up to the stage, and Lisa and I realized that we were going to be RIDICULOUSLY close. Uncomfortably close. So close, that when the band walked out, Rick looked at us and said, “You guys are close. It’s a little awkward.” and we were like, Uh yesss, thanks for agreeing. I was practically sitting in Jason’s lap. Haha. 😉


After the set, the band was signing autographs, so we got in the line to get our vinyls signed. The band passed us as they headed to the front of the line, and Jason said, “hey guys!” and as he passed, squeezed my shoulder a few times. Oh my god. Just stop. You are perfection and you’re going to make my heart explode anytime you touch me. Hah.

The line was getting rushed pretty quickly, so we only had a minute to say hello. I was wearing a sweater with a fox on it, and Rick was totally captivated by it. “Your sweater! I love it! It has a fox!” Yes, yes it does.

Lisa and I thought about mingling after to say a better hello, but we both were tired and decided not to be creepy and stalkerish, so we headed back to our cars, to where I had an adventure getting Matty to fit in my backseat and Lisa laughed at me. Ha.

Since I have friends in Long Beach, we planned for me to visit and stay with them that night. I headed over to Danielle and Alicia’s place to where Danielle was being lazy and I totally approved. We drank coffee (I know, MORE?) and then headed to Alicia’s place of employment to say hi on her break. Where she hooked me up with her employee discount. Scrapbook stuff. You don’t even know how geekily excited I was.

Afterwards, Danielle and I ran some quick errands, and then went back to the apartment to make dinner and cookies and watch a movie. I brought one I had checked out from work which seemed promising, but lacked the humor it was supposed to be and disappointed both of us at the end. Boo. At least the cookies were good.

Soon after, Alicia came home and we chatted for a bit before going to sleep.

The next morning Danielle had to go to work early since it was a Monday. Alicia and I hung out for a bit and then decided to roam around Long Beach for (no surprise) coffee. She took me to this adorable cafe that I fell in love with.

After coffee, we ended up near Danielle’s workplace, and they were kind enough to give her a longer lunch hour so she could to have lunch with us. Yay!

After lunch, we headed back to the apartment and I gathered my belongings and headed out to Glendale for Lifehouse show number 2. They were playing in a mall and the whole set up was utterly disastrous. There was a mob in the crowd and it was just…ridiculous.

Lisa came to meet up with me once again, and it was so cold that I bought coffee just to hold. Probably the only time I bought caffeine and didn’t drink it all.


After the set, we had our CDs signed (you had to buy the CD to see the show, and I figured might as well get it signed since we were there, and they had sharpies in hand, right?) Again, the line was rushed, and the only thing I had time to talk about was trying to convince Jason to play Anchor live again. To which he replied, “Well, I can’t play it tomorrow…” and I was like, “NO. Next tour. Learn it for us old timers?” We shall see…

By then I was hungry and I had a mad craving for some french fries (I don’t even really like fries, so I allow myself to give in to the every once in a year craving I have) so we went to this little diner in the mall so I could chow down. I was staying with my friend Monica that night, and she met up with us there and we hung out for a bit before parting ways with Lisa. Monica and I headed to her house and we watched a few episodes of Friends and then pretty much went to sleep soon after because we’re old and like sleep.

The next morning we were lazy like crazy, and didn’t get out of bed and have breakfast until noon. She took me to Fred 62 and I had the most epic egg sandwich. AMAZING.

We wandered around a few boutiques nearby, and then headed back to her place. I hung out for a bit, and then headed out soon after, because it takes an hour to get anywhere in LA. I wanted to get to the other side of town before 5pm, otherwise I’d hit traffic and it’d take me a week to arrive. It was buy one/get one free day at Sprinkles Cupcakes though, and they had holiday flavors, so I definitely stopped there on the way to the Troubadour. Sup, Gingerbread and Egg Nog cupcakes? I love you.
I saved the cupcakes for later though, because I was on a mission to consume Sprinkles ICE CREAM. Um, red velvet cupcake swirled into ice cream?!! Where have you been all my life? (And I’m sure those calories are still lingering on my ass.)

After I ate my calorie fest, I met up with Lisa yet again in front of the Troubadour. As the sun set, the wind picked up and I cursed in line and froze. I ended up chatting with the girl in line in front of me the entire time (Hi, Aimee!) and we are pretty much the exact same person. We talked about boybands to the max. I’m glad I am not the only boy band geek out there. I met a few other people while in line also, which is probably one of the best things about being an avid concert goer. Gotta love music bringing people together.

After what felt like forever, we were let inside the venue and I slowly defrosted. Lifehouse had a “surprise” opening act, who turned out to be Carolina Liar.

I blogged about them back when they opened for Kelly in the summer. Yeah, still have the same feelings about them. Still not so much my cup of tea. But I clapped when they said clap, and sang their one song I know, as it passed the time until Lifehouse took stage.

I decided I wanted the set to be a surprise, so when their roadie taped the setlist right down in front of me, I avoided looking at it. It was the hardest thing ever, because I’m always like WHAT ARE THEY PLAYING, WHAT ARE THEY PLAYING?!? the second the setlist comes out onstage.


I had Lisa take a picture so I could remember it later…but then I went home with one anyway, so yay!

I loved hearing the new songs live. I loved finally seeing a full band set. I love everything about this band. My 15 year old who discovered them inside me was screaming, while the 16 year old who first met them was crying, and the 27 year old me was standing there with a huge grin plastered on her face and sang along to every word. So much love.

Natasha Beddingfield came out and sang the new single with the band, and it was all together good fun.

After the set, the band was signing CDs again, but I had enough of that and I had to actually drive the 5 hours home. Yeah. In the middle of the night. Because I am stupid and had to work the next day. UGH.

I got home around 5am (oh my gooood) and woke up just a short few hours later (why body whyyyy) I ate a cupcake and then Zombie Joslyn’d around the library during my shift, before promptly coming home and finally crashed.


Such a good 3 days. Can I do it again, yet?


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: